CHOOSING THE RIGHT AUTO INSURANCE

CHOOSING THE RIGHT AUTO INSURANCE

With so many different insurance policies to choose from, it can be tempting to simply go along with what your insurance company recommends. After all, the insurance agent’s job is to make sure you have the coverage you need, right? Unfortunately, that is not usually the case. The truth is that insurance companies look out for their own interests more than those of consumers.

Steven Wingo, Attorney at Law is an Ocala personal injury law firm that deals with insurance companies every day. Attorney Wingo and his experienced staff can advise you on choosing the right auto insurance. Picking a policy that protects you is a very important part of securing the future for you.

MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR INSURANCE COVERAGE

Personal Injury Protection (PIP or No-Fault)

In Florida, PIP/no-fault insurance is mandatory. Every driver is required to have $10,000 of this coverage. If you are in an auto accident, the benefits are paid by your own insurance company, regardless of who was at fault in the accident. That is why Florida is called a no-fault state. Based on 15+ years of experience, Steven Wingo recommends that you select PIP coverage with no deductible.

Medical Payments Coverage

Medical payments coverage (Med Pay) is a relatively inexpensive type of additional no-fault coverage that supplements the required PIP coverage. The regular PIP coverage only pays for 80 percent of your medical expenses. Medical payments coverage will pay the remaining 20 percent. If all of your PIP coverage is exhausted (your bills come to more than $10,000), medical payment coverage will pay 100 percent of your further expenses. Our firm recommends that you select Med Pay coverage of at least $2,000.

Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage

The most important type of insurance to have is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, simply known as UM coverage. In Florida, bodily injury coverage is not mandatory, which means there is a good chance that the insurance of the driver who hits you will not pay your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. If you have UM coverage, you can get compensation from your own insurance company if the person who hit you has no insurance or does not have enough insurance to cover your claims. Buying full UM coverage with no limitations is the best way to protect yourself.

Stacking UM Coverage

Florida law allows you to “stack” your UM coverage. This is an inexpensive way to vastly increase the value of your insurance coverage. Stacking allows you to collect the UM coverage limits for each vehicle covered by your policy. For example, say you have three cars and you bought $100,000 of UM coverage for each one. If you are in a car accident with an uninsured driver, you can collect $100,000 from each vehicle—including the two that were not involved in the accident—giving you up to $300,000 of coverage. In addition, your UM coverage kicks in and protects you if you are riding your bike or walking and get hit by an car or truck.

INSURANCE THAT COVERS DAMAGE TO YOUR CAR

In addition to the types of coverage discussed above, you should have other forms of insurance that are specifically designed to cover property damage from an accident. The two most important types are comprehensive coverage (“Comp”) and Collision coverage (“Collision”). These types of coverage will help pay for damage to your vehicle if you are in an accident.

CONTACT AN OCALA ATTORNEY TO REQUEST A FREE EVALUATION

Steven Wingo, Attorney at Law is a firm dedicated to helping injured people recover from accidents. If you have been injured, reach out to our trusted attorney for advice on choosing the right doctor for your injuries. For a free consultation, call 888-900-0659. You can also contact the firm online.